DAY 5: INNER QUIET
Welcome to Day 5 of ‘7 to Unstoppable’! Look at you – almost at the home stretch!
For the last four days, we focused on strengthening our mind, our emotions, our bodies. They are all interrelated, and the best part is, the benefits of strengthening one of these spills on to the others too.
Today we will work on our minds some more. We will be making our minds quiet and contemplative, and then condition it to how we want. We are after strength and clarity.
Ready? Here we go.
Today’s challenge is:
- Find a quiet, interrupted place in your house. Sit in a comfortable position and slowly rid yourself of all the trivial thoughts in your mind. If the room is bright, turn off the lights – it will help you focus better. Or if it is daytime, just close your eyes. Now back to your thoughts. The phone call you had to return, your plans for the weekend, all those non-essential thoughts – eject them from your mind, one by one. This is NOT easy – we are used to crowding our minds to the point of chaos nowadays. So this may take some time. Don’t stress out too much though – go at it slowly. One by one, push trivial thoughts from your mind.
- Once your mind is sufficiently empty, we will go into ‘conditioning’ mode. Think how you want to feel this week. To make this easier, you can imagine how you want to be that is going to make you feel the best, most awesome version of yourself. For example: “I want to feel in control of everything happening around me” OR “I want to feel badass and powerful” or something else. Think of just one sentence. NOW, switch the “I want to feel” to “I am”. Example: “I AM in control of everything happening around me” OR “I AM badass and powerful!” This is your affirmative thought for the day.
- With your eyes still closed, or the lights still turned off, repeat your affirmative thought to yourself over and over for a few minutes. You can do it in your head or out loud – depending on how you feel. I personally like to do it in my head.
(Steps 1 to 3 should take about 15 minutes in total)
- Once your 15 minutes are up, open your eyes and leave the room. Now commit to spending at least one hour in silence without the use of technology, social media, etc. You can still go about your day i.e. do the dishes, get ready for work, etc. But for ONE HOUR, try to refrain from speaking to anyone or grabbing your phone to check Facebook.
The reason for this is to keep you MINDFUL and FOCUSED on your affirmative thoughts, and not let the outside work detract you from the ‘zone’ your brain is in.
- After your hour is up, go about your day as you normally would, but try to repeat your affirmative thought to yourself every few hours.
BONUS: Try to do this at least once a week, starting from now. You will be amazed at the mental clarity you start to gain once you make a habit of it.
Day 4: FACING YOUR FEARS
Welcome to Day 4 of ‘7 to Unstoppable’! Congrats on completing the first three days – consistency is so important if you want to build unshakeable mental strength.
Today, we will step outside our comfort zones a bit more. We are going to do that by diving into our FEARS.
The challenge today:
Identify TWO fears that you have. These could be fear of heights, fear of dogs, fear of crowded places, fear of public speaking, anything.
Now, do TWO things that will look that fear in the eye.
For example, if you have a fear of crowded spaces, go to a flea market or an airport or a very packed bar and spend some time there. If you have a fear of dogs, go on a walk, and go up to the first dog you come across to pet it. If you have a fear of public speaking, ask your boss if you can give a 3-minute presentation at the beginning of the next meeting.
Everything you have ever wanted is on the other side of fear.
FACE your fears. PUT yourself in the place of discomfort. Stepping into discomfort is when growth happens.
How did that feel? Leave a comment below and let me know!
DAY 1: The Physical
Welcome to Day 1 of ‘7 to Unstoppable’!
The first challenge for ‘7 to Unstoppable’ will be a physical one. There are two reasons for this: First of all, physical challenges are MEASURABLE. Finishing through on a measurable first challenge will instill confidence in your abilities from the very start. Secondly, the most important part about this physical challenge will be conquering your mind that will say it is ‘impossible’ or ‘too hard’ or ‘not for me’. 99% of the people will be able to complete this challenge if you silence your mental nay-sayers and tell yourself you can. (And no, you are not that special 1%). Overcoming this challenge will prep your mind for the rest of the week.
The challenge below have been inspired by the rigorous training the US Navy SEALs go through.. during their very first week of training.
You have THREE options. Pick any ONE:
Option 3: BOTH (for the real go-getters)
If you are thinking “No way, I can’t even do 5 pushups!” or “I cant even do 10 burpees!”.. take a deep breath and quiet your mind. Kick your mental nay-sayers to the curb. Yes, these are SUPPOSED to be tough. Discomfort equals growth, remember? Here are a few suggestions that may help you do the challenge today:
- Break up the push-ups / burpees into multiple small blocks (20 at a time, for example), and spread it out throughout the day. Much more manageable that way.
- Put some loud upbeat music on and get at it!
- TELL yourself “I will do this today” and that’s that. Commit. Don’t overthink it. Do what you have committed.
The biggest hurdle is conquering your mind. Do that, and the body will undoubtedly follow.
Get to work!
Leave your comments BELOW! I want to hear how you did!
Completed 500 push-ups? Tweet it out!
Completed 200 burpees? Tweet it out!
Strength – any kind of strength – starts with the mind. If you master your mind, you can literally be unstoppable. Ask any Olympian, Ironman, Buddhist monk, or anyone accomplishing feats that seem near-impossible to the rest of us. Their response will be ‘Prepare your mind, and the rest will follow.’
At UnPsychology, we are all about bettering ourselves. We do this through continued education, reading, personal challenges, conscious self-improvement and pushing us ourselves outside our comfort zones.
Right outside your comfort zone is when growth happens.
On March 30th, I will be putting up a 7-day mental toughness challenge. It will feature one mind/body challenge every day that will push you outside your comfort zone. Not only will the challenges make you stronger day by day, it will also fill you with growing confidence regarding your abilities.
Remember: No discomfort, no growth.
If you are interested in the ‘7 to Unstoppable’ challenge, sign up below. You will get an email reminder the day before so you can mentally prepare.